The Ballentine History
One Hundred and Sixteen Years of Dedicated Service to Seniors.
The Ballentine is an assisted living community with a deep and rich tradition of supporting seniors with respect and loving care. Established in 1896 as the Mary F. Ballentine Home for the Aged by our namesake’s husband, the “home for ladies of gentle birth” was committed to the “care and protection” of elderly women. In 1906, a stately four-story building in the then-fashionable Brambleton section of Norfolk was dedicated to that purpose.
With a legacy from Thomas Ballentine, the home continued to operate and grow. Relocating in 1952 to a newly-constructed building in the Granby Park neighborhood, The Ballentine continued its long tradition of caring for women, providing daily support for 30 “guests” in the home. Oversight for the home continued under a Board of Trustees led by Episcopal and Presbyterian leadership from around the state of Virginia.
By the time a major renovation was completed in 1987, The Ballentine was able to accommodate 60 residents, including men – a first in 90 years of operation. Another renovation in 2000 added still more resident rooms and upgraded amenities, and care services expanded to accommodate all levels of senior independence.
Our “homes” and the model for senior care have evolved significantly over more than a century, but the central mission and tradition of care at The Ballentine has remained steadfast and faithful to its roots.